Friday, February 3, 2012

~ a yarn basket ~

Finished this basket up last night.  It took me a few days to crochet it because I had to take breaks - crocheting with 4 strands of yarn is hard on these old hands.  Thanks for stopping by.  :)

Materials:
- 4-ply worsted weight acrylic (I used Red Heart Super Saver - don't use the 'Soft' yarns)
   - 3 1/2 oz. each of 4 colors
- P crochet hook
- sheet of plastic canvas
- 53" of 1/4" ribbon

Size:  6" deep 13" across

Directions:
Rnd 1:  Holding all 4 strands together, ch 4, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, ch 2.  (3 dc, ch 2) in same ch 3 more times.  Join with a sl st to top of ch 3.

Rnds 2 - 5:  Ch 3, dc in each dc around with (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner ch-2 spaces.  Join as before.  At end of Rnd 5, join with a sl st to back loop of beginning ch 3.

Rnd 6:  Working this Rnd in back loops only, ch 1, sc in same st.  Sc in each dc around with 2 sc in each corner ch-2 space.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.

Rnd 7:  Ch 1, hdc in same st.  Hdc in each sc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st hdc.

Rnd 8:  Ch 1, sc in same st.  Sc in each hdc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.

Rnds 9 - 12:  Repeat Rnds 7 - 8 consecutively.

Rnd 13:  Ch 1, hdc in same st.  Hdc in next 22 sc.  Ch 5, skip next 5 sc, hdc in next 37 sc.  Ch 5, skip next 5 sc, hdc in next 14 sc.  Join with a sl st to 1st hdc.

Rnd 14:  Ch 1, sc in same st.  Sc in each hdc around with 5 sc in each ch-5 space.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.

Rnd 15:  Ch 1, sc in same st.  Reverse sc in each sc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st reverse sc.  End off.

Cut plastic canvas to fit inside bottom of basket.

Weave ribbon thru hdc stitches of Rnd 11.  Tie into a bow.

***Debi Y's version***





 


Print Friendly and PDF

22 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! It's such a kick to design patterns - I'm glad I started :)
    This looks lovely! :D
    It reminds me that I'm planning on crocheting a bread basket soon! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Debi, I like the hand holds. It would have hard to crochet with 4 strands. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I have something like that in my head too :-)
    Yours looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's to drool at!
    Have a great weekend Debi!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really impressed Debi, it's lovely so practical :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow.. SO PRETTY! Beautiful work Debi!.. Just got my package in the mail today! Can't wait to get started.. I think I am going to make the sweetheart ornaments, from which you've shared your pattern for. I have a Valentine's Day tree up that is in desperate need of some more handmade ornaments!.. Wondering how big they will be, though. If they are too big for my medium-sized table top tree, then maybe I can just hang them somewhere else, or I can use a smaller hook, and sportyarn/crochet thread, instead and just alter the pattern where necessary? Hmmmmm.. Well, whatever the case, Thanks so much Debi, and have a great weekend! ((hugs)) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina - the sweet-heart ornaments are 4 1/2" and 6" wide - so they might be too big for a table top tree. Your idea to used thread or sport weight to make them smaller is a good one - the patterns shouldn't have to be altered as long as you end up with an even number of sc's on the 1st round. I hope it all works out for you. :)

      Delete
  7. Very nice, Debi! And I love all those beautiful balls of variegated you have in your basket. Pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly Louise. The pattern is just something I did - I'm thinking of writing it up and posting it here. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks ladies for all your nice compliments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great. I do hope that you write up a pattern, I wouldn't even know how to begin crocheting a basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome Debi! You're a better woman than I. I don't think I could crochet with 4 strands. That must have really been hard on your hands. But it's awesome. I love the colors. And check out that crab stitch! I don't like that stitch. It looks good but it's hard for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 4 strands, wow! I think I'll stick with just 2 strands max! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mrs debi....this is so neat , beautiful and a great idea , Love it .You are awesome.Congratulations ....great project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great basket I made a basket like that years ago for a baby shower I went to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crocheting with four strands of yarn! What size hook does that call for? This basket is lovely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely lovely basket,Debi. Am amazed at how its holding its shape so well!!

    Hugs
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)